Sunday 16 March 2008

Bazza has a Creative Day.

Another day in the Kitchen..... and what fun!

Marianne managed to get hold of some new cookery books...... all based on stand mixers. Couldn't be a better combination for an aspiring chef, gadget freak and a hyperactive twerp. Especially as I was supposed to be tidying the garden. Unfortunately for the Garden - fortunately for the Gardener - nature intervened by way of heavy rain. The most I could do was take some rubbsh to the local tip.

So, armed with all this enthusiasm and time, I took to the kitchen. Cheese sablés - basically a light, cheddar biscuit. What to have with it? Simple. Tomato soup - home made style! Only ever had soup like it once and I'm so proud I made something as good as that was. Ok, I could've opened a tin of Heinz. 5 seconds but no fun! But the taste - Hmmmmm!

Got a bit carried away with the cream - not helped by not having the camera to hand before it started to diffuse!

Then I thought I'd try a dessert. Key Lime pie! Love it..... Marianne makes a pretty mean Lemon meringue, but I fancied the piquancy of a lime. Now, you really must understand this..... I REALLY am NOT at all adventurous (or brave) when it comes to food. Lime was a big step. Funny thing is. The more I cook the braver I am with ingredients. As long as I can see what goes in and how it 'fits' into the recipe I notice I try things more. Humans! Can anyone understand the inner psyche?

I have to admit - Marianne's Lemon Meringue still holds the top spot... I need to improve my pastry skills :-(

So, now to clean up. We've cleaned the dishes - now we must wash them!

5 comments:

picperfic said...

well, I have to say that those cheesy biscuits were/are so light and scrummy! I wondered what that posh name meant...biscuits! lol
The soup is beyond delicious and so very tasty, glad there is plenty left for my lunch tomorrow! The key lime pie was certainly different, very sharp and very sweet at the same time. I think you are wonderful to enjoy cooking so much, I must admit though, I'd rather be cooking than ironing!!

ColorJoy LynnH said...

Hmmm, just read Marianne's note that she'd rather be cooking than ironing. I think I like the results of cooking better, but ironing is not messy which I prefer.

The pie looks wonderful. I think I understand about being more adventurous when you know what is inside the food. I cook almost everything I eat now (thanks to a long list of food allergies). And these days we make foods that I never imagined trying when I was younger. Familiarity is a good thing when trying new foods.

Making a crust, though... that is a big deal. More mess, more flour everywhere. I have only done it once and I dread the thought of trying again. I do fruit-and-oats desserts to avoid the issue, for the most part.

Bravo on the pie!

Marianne said...

It all looks wonderful, I love keylime pie! At first glance I thought perhaps it was a butternut squash soup, you may try that sometime, with allspice, yummy.
Pie crust... it takes a nimble and light hand, don't work it very much, it does take a bit of practice :^D

CG said...

Oh my god, that all looks delcious!!!

picperfic said...

Mariannes' know all about pastry....hmmm, now I think I might just have another slice!